So after the costumes are put away and the candy is eaten (or thrown away), what can you do on a daily basis to make sure your intake of added sugars isn't sky-high? First, lets review the facts:
- Added sugars are sugars and syrups that are added to foods or beverages during processing or preparation
- Added sugars does not include naturally occurring sugars such as those that occur in milk and fruits.
- While the body does not metabolize added vs. natural sugars differently, sources of natural sugars often contain other nutrients such as fiber or vitamins and minerals. These other nutrients benefit our overall level of health and also affect the total metabolism of the food.
- Foods that contain added sugars include: soft drinks, candy, cakes, cookies, pies, fruit drinks (fruitades, fruit punch, Tang), milk-based desserts and products (ice cream, sweetened yogurt and sweetened milk), grain products (sweet rolls, cinnamon toast, donuts, Pop-Tarts, sweetened cereals, Toaster Strudels, etc.). Clearly this is not an all-inclusive list!
- One 12 fl. oz. can of regular soda = 40 grams sugar = 10 tsp sugar
- 1 jelly-filled donut = 36 grams sugar = 9 tsp sugar
- One 2 oz. (regular-sized) Snickers candy bar = 34 grams sugar = 8.5 tsp sugar
- 1 cup chocolate ice cream = 38 grams sugar = 9.5 tsp
So, be an added sugar detective! The next time you are looking at a product, find the ingredient list. If any of these ingredients are listed, the product contains added sugars:
-brown sugar -invert sugar -anhydrous dextrose
-corn sweetener -lactose -confectioners powdered sugar
-corn syrup -maltose -corn syrup solids
-dextrose -malt syrup -maple syrup
-fructose -molasses -nectars
-fruit juice concentrates -raw sugar -white granulated sugar
-glucose -sucrose -cane juice, cane sugar
-high-fructose corn syrup -sugar
Remember, too, that ingredients are listed by weight. So if an added sugar is one of the first few ingredients, the product is likely high in added sugar.
So what are some good ways to reduce added sugars in your diet? Come back next week to find out!