Wednesday, February 19, 2014
5 Lunches Ready in 15 Minutes or Less
Hopefully you saw last week's blog entry for 5 breakfasts ready in 5 minutes or less. Continuing that theme, this week you will find 5 lunches ready in 15 minutes or less. About now is when the allure of the New Year's Resolution wears off and the annoyance of winter is in high gear. Help yourself tackle both with great fueling! Get ready to chow down.....in less than 15 minutes.
*Keep in mind quantities for the meal will vary depending on your total calorie needs.
The Classic PBJ
Yes you can still eat these even though you are not 5 years old. The key is in the ingredients.
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 tablespoons natural peanut (check label for peanuts only)
1 tablespoon honey or low-sugar jam
Pair with 1 piece of fruit and 1 cup raw veggies such as mini sweet peppers, baby carrots or cherry tomatoes.
Delicious to vegetarians and carnivores alike!
1. Grab 1 whole wheat tortilla and spread with 2 tablespoons hummus.
2. Top hummus with spinach or Kale leaves, sliced sweet peppers and shredded carrots (or whatever veggies you have on hand). Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
3. Pair with a source of protein such as 1 container of Greek yogurt, 1 cup cow's milk or 1 cup soy milk
4. Complete meal with one piece of fresh fruit or 1/2-1 cup cut up fruit - whatever you have on hand...the darker the flesh the better.
The Flat Pizza
Okay so it isn't deep dish, but it's fast and tasty...no complaining!
1. Grab 1 large whole wheat tortilla. Spread with spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce (either works).
2. Heat up 1 cup raw or frozen veggies in bowl in microwave. Microwave times will vary.
3. Spread veggies on tortilla. Top with choice of cheese.
4. Season with dried oregano and basil.
5. Heat. Time will vary but about 5 minutes. Toaster oven works best for this. However, you can also use a microwave or regular oven if you have time to let the oven heat up.
Lovely Rice & Beans
Don't dis' it 'til you try it. Just sayin'
1. If you don't have rice already made, you can use the quick cooking 90 second rice packets. Place ~1 cup brown rice on a plate.
2. Top with 1/2 cup black beans
3. Sprinkle with fresh chopped tomato, fresh or dried basil leaves and dried oregano.
4. Heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
5. Drizzle with ~1 tablespoon olive oil. Top with 1 tablespoon cheese if desired. Personally I love mine topped with green olives.
6. Pair with 1 cup fresh vegetables and 1 piece of fruit or 1/2 cup applesauce.
The Snack-Lover's Lunch
For the athlete on-the-go!
1. Grab ~1/4 cup almonds and ~1/4 cup dried cranberries. Place in sandwich bag.
2. Pair with 1 snack-size back of pretzels or place that equivalent amount of pretzels in the sandwich bag too.
3. Finish off meal with your favorite bar (Clif bar, Luna bar, or Powerbar Nut Naturals are all great) and a piece of fresh fruit.
4. Head out the door - this lunch is good to go!