Wednesday, February 12, 2014
5 Breakfasts Ready in 5 Minutes or Less
When it comes to breakfast, many of my athletes would rather sleep than bother with the perceived "hastle" of making a meal. However, eating breakfast doesn't mean adding an additional 15 minutes to your morning routine. Here are 5 breakfasts ready to travel in 5 minutes or less. Ready...go!
The Classic Oatmeal
1. Add quick-cooking oats and milk in microwave-safe bowl according to container cooking time and amounts.
2. Heat (we'll guess 1:30 minutes)
3. Drizzle with honey and top with fresh blackberries and almonds.
4. Take in bowl or transfer to coffee travel mug to take with you.
The Power Smoothie
1. Add 1 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt to blender.
2. Top with 1 handful spinach and 2 cups frozen or fresh berries. Drizzle in honey if desired.
3. Add 1 tbsp peanut butter or ground flaxseed. Add extra liquid (water or milk) if thinner smoothie desired.
4. Blend, put in coffee travel mug with straw.
1. Spray coffee mug with cooking spray or cover bottom and sides with oil.
2. Toss 1-2 slices bread in toaster or toaster oven to begin cooking.
3. Add 1/2 cup frozen veggies to coffee mug; heat for 40 seconds.
4. Crack 2-3 eggs into coffee mug; Add 2 Tbsp milk or milk-alternative.
5. Top with 1-2 Tbsp shredded cheese and mix everything with fork.
6. Heat in microwave 45 seconds. Stir. Heat 30-45 seconds longer. (Microwave times may vary.)
7. Grab piece of fruit and head out the door!
1. Grab whole wheat or gluten-free tortilla
2. Spread with peanut or almond butter
3. Drizzle with honey and roll the tortilla; wrap in aluminum foil.
4. Pair with piece of fruit.
Lunch for Breakfast
1. Grab two slices of whole wheat bread bread.
2. Place 4 slices deli turkey or chicken and 1 slice low-fat Swiss cheese on tortilla.
3. Top with spinach, tomatoes and drizzle of spicy mustard.
4. Wrap sandwich in foil to go. Grab a piece of fresh fruit on your way out the door.
Picture source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/josek/