Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Different Kind of New Year's Resolution

Every year I get asked the same thing by family, clients, and friends: what is your New Year's Resolution? The truth is - I never make one...at least not a traditional one. And it's not because I don't think I can keep one or I am not devoted enough to anything to put the effort forth. It's because I know that New Year's Resolutions - as most people think of them - do not work.

Why not? Well, the majority of resolutions I hear are quite vague. Common ones are: I want to lose weight. I want to be more active. I want to do something new. Vague or nonspecific goals are difficult to achieve because it's hard to create steps toward a nonspecific goal. Better resolutions might be: I want to lose weight, so I will start by drinking 1 can of soda instead of 3 each day. I want to be more active, so I will join a local running group. I want to do something new, so I will visit the local indoor rock climbing gym one time per week.

Another reason resolutions don't work: one year is an incredibly long time. Why not make monthly resolutions toward a one-year goal? Then with each month's resolution that you achieve, reward yourself- how about a new outfit or tickets to see your favorite team? That will keep you motivated to keep working toward your ultimate goal.

So now that you're educated to create better resolutions, it's your turn. You've still got a few days to think this through. Tell me: What is YOUR "New Year's Resolution"?

Be Extraordinary,

RDKate

No comments:

Post a Comment