Wednesday, November 30, 2016

4 Keys to Keeping Your Health and Performance on Track this Holiday Season

In my last post, I provided 4 fantastic tips to prepare yourself for the holiday season. If you missed it, check it out here. This time, lets talk about how to keep yourself going as the holiday season continues on. While preparing is very important, there are things you can be doing to keep yourself on track as the weeks continue on and temptations surround - treats that beckon or a cozy couch that suggests you not work out today. When you feel the pull of the holiday coming on strong, try these key tactics:

1. Conduct a "treat clean-up" every few days
I find that somehow more and more treats appear in my kitchen as the season continues. Whether it is leftovers from a family party, a well-meaning neighbor sharing joy through food or my own purchases/creations, it seems that I am surrounded by treats! To better control how much is at arm's reach, I do a treat assessment every few days or so. Look around your kitchen and in your fridge to check what is available to you/your family. If I think it's getting a little of hand, I'll do one of the following: throw the food out (very rare, actually), freeze what can be frozen (very common) or give to my husband to take to his coworkers (also pretty common). I like to put treats in our deep freeze in the basement, so it requires even more effort for me to get at it. This isn't done in an effort to restrict or take away all treats, (because I obviously know where they are) but simply to keep aware of how much is easily available. You simply want more healthy options than treats at easy reach in the kitchen when snack time rolls around (for you and your loved ones). So, just keep tabs on this, and I promise it will make choosing healthy so much easier.


2. Commit to a late winter or early spring race
I love winter running, but I still have a hard time getting my butt out there when it gets cold. Try signing up for a race in February or early March as a way to keep yourself committed to do SOMETHING. It doesn't have to be a long race - even a 5K can keep you mentally focused on staying in shape. And if you hate competing in the cold, look for an indoor triathlon or run. Personally, I signed up for a winter half on February 4th...because I'm crazy like that. But, you can bet it will get me out training this winter!

3. Check-in with your health and performance "buddy"
Do you have someone to keep you on track with your goals? It might be a coach, friend or family member. It might be someone who actually calls or texts to check in, or simply someone who knows your plans, which is perhaps enough to keep you on track. Do whatever will keep you accountable.

4. Remind yourself of where you want to be come January
Have an A-Race or other performance goal in mind for 2017? Aiming for a certain body type you have had in the past? Hang up something to remind yourself of what you are shooting for - an old picture of you, an outfit you know you can fit into with commitment (but lets be realistic, ok?), a goal time printed on a piece of paper or a flyer for a race. Keep reminding yourself of your goals and aspirations, and you will get there!

Your Nutrition Coach,

RDKate

No comments:

Post a Comment