Thursday, January 8, 2015

What your nutrition-related New Year's Resolution should look like


We are eight days into the New Year, which means resolutions are running full speed ahead. Here were 2014's top three New Year's Resolutions: 1) Lose weight 2) Get organized 3) Spend less, save more. Sadly, only 8% of Americans are successful in meeting their resolutions each year. To get into that 8%, here are some tips when crafting and living out your nutrition-related resolutions.

1. Keep it simple
When it comes to nutrition, avoid fad diets or extreme dieting measures, such as cutting out entire foods groups or excessive record-keeping of every calorie consumed. This typically works for about 3 weeks, causes extreme stress and is quickly abandoned. Instead, keep it simple. Try writing three basic "eating guidelines" for yourself. Here are a few examples:
-Eat a fruit or veggie 5 different times each day
-Buy only nonfat dairy foods
-Drink alcohol only 2 times each week with 1-2 drinks each time
Goals such as this are easier to achieve and not overly restrictive.



2. Keep it realistic
Somewhat related to above, try to be realistic with yourself. I am now the proud mommy of two kids - aged 2 years and 2.5 months. Therefore, while I cannot do all, I can still do some of the meal prep duties I used to do when I was single with no kids. I no longer pre-cut all of my veggies on Sunday night. Instead, I stock up on frozen veggies that heat within 3-4 minutes and splurge a bit on baby carrots. I use the crock pot more than I used to. Instead of baking my own healthy tofu muffins, I just go back to basics and snack on fresh fruit with unsalted nuts. I'm still keeping things healthy, but in a more simple way.

3. Keep yourself accountable
Whether this means coming in to see a dietitian like myself or getting a friend or family member on board, someone has to keep you accountable. No matter how strong we are, we all need accountability in at least one area of our lives. If you find it hard to stay on track with eating, find a partner that will travel the journey with you.

By following numbers 1-3 above, you might just find that being a member of that 8% isn't as difficult as you once thought. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Be Extraordinary,


RDKate



No comments:

Post a Comment