Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Camping Nutrition in Action

Last week I offered some meals and snacks to utilize while out camping. I was fortunate enough to camp and hike in Yosemite National Park this past weekend. So, for those of you interested, this is how I put my performance nutrition into action. Remember: this was what worked for me, based on my particular needs (23 weeks pregnant, high level of fitness, etc.). Your specific needs may differ. Also, while last week I gave recommendations that included purely shelf-stable foods for backpacking purposes, I was in a situation where keeping food cold was not a problem. So I could include perishable items.

Day 1: 8.8 mile hike to North Dome
Highest Elevation: 8100 ft
Total time to complete: 4.5 hrs (2:30pm-7pm)
Temp: 70-75

Lunch (prior to hike): PB & Honey sandwich on WW bread, large handful of grapes, large handful of baby carrots, 2 cups water
Fuel during hike: 1 cup sports drink, 1 Nature Valley Oats & Honey bar, 1 apple, 3 cups water

Dinner (at campsite): Campfire foil packets!
-Chicken breast
-Italian seasoning
-Fresh green beans
-Potatoes
-1-2 small pats butter
.......wrap in foil, place in campfire coals or on cooking grate and cook through (~40 min depending on thickness of meat).

Also had another apple, some grapes, 4 cups water, and of course - s'mores for dessert!

1/2 cup sports drink immediately before bed (to prevent cramping overnight)


Day 2: 14.5 mile hike to Cloud's Rest
Highest Elevation: 9926 ft
Elevation Gain: 1775 ft
Total time to Complete: 6.5 hrs (10am-4:30pm)
Temp 65-75

Breakfast (campsite): 2 bowls old-fashioned oats with walnuts, dried fruit, brown sugar; 1 cup coffee, leftover potatoes from dinner night before, 2 cups water
Fuel during hike: 2 granola bars, 1/2 Clif bar, 2 apples, 1/2 avocado, PB & honey sandwich on WW bread, 1.5 cups sports drink, a lot of water

One interesting thing to keep in mind is that as elevation increases, so do carbohydrate needs. This remains true until the body is acclimated to elevation, which can take as long as 8 weeks. In addition, while the weather was relatively cool with low humidity, I was in direct sunlight and doing a good amount of climbing. Therefore, my hydration needs were significantly increased. I carried a Camelbak to encourage hydration.

How do YOU fuel yourself during camping and hiking? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment below.

Be Extraordinary,


RDKate




No comments:

Post a Comment